After a lot of consideration, I have decided that I’m going to take a break from training for about a week or two. This will give me enough time to recover from my Cross Country season. Also, this will let me indulge during Halloween, which I would not be able to resist anyways. Hence, the huge picture of Domo with candy corn, aka my favorite Halloween candy!
This post isn’t about candy, although I could go on all day about how much I love it. No, this is about healthy food! I don’t want to drag on and on about this, so I’m doing this in lists, so get your pens ready!
Here are some need-to-know quick tips about your diet. First, you should have more than 3 meals a day! Throughout the day you need to be eating. This keeps your metabolism constantly working and revives your energy. Multiple small meals is way easier on your body than a few large meals. Second, once in a while, you can give in to your temptations! I believe that this is the main reason diets don’t work; people torture themselves by quitting unhealthy foods cold turkey. You can still enjoy these foods in small quantities every once in a great while, just don’t make it a regular thing.
Also, a rule from James Beckerman, M.D. Your food should follow the 2-4-8 rule; try to have 20 grams of protein, less than 400 calories and less than 800 mg of sodium.
Now let’s get going!
- Whole-grain toast (I love it with homemade strawberry jelly!)
- Juice (Cranberry, apple, orange, whatever!)
- decaf coffee (If you can’t live without coffee)
- Quaker Mini Delights 90 calorie pack (I’m a big fan of the caramel)
- Fiber One bars (GREAT variety)
- Popcorn (plain please! Actually really good!)
- Trail mix
- Sardines (good on crackers)
- Vegetables (carrots, celery, etc.)
- Fruit! (Apples with a tablespoon of peanut butter adds some protein!)
- McDonald’s: Side salad with or without low-fat Italian dressing
- McDonald’s: Grilled Chicken Snack wrap with or without dressing
- Noodles&Co: bowls with whole grain noodles
- Chipotle: Burrito bowls
- Subway: 6 inch, wheat bread, roast beef (easy on the dressing. Veggies!)
- Progresso soup (Personal favorite! So many flavors and on Weight Watchers system)
- Healthy Choice Steamers
- Salmon (Super food!)
- Lean Cuisine
- Smart Ones